Excursions Draiflessen Collection
The Reformation of 1517 took place not only in Wittenberg, on the Wartburg, or in front of the Imperial Diet. The Reformation had sweeping consequences for the entire Christian world, consequences that can also be found in the Tecklenburger Land, in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Osnabrück, and in the Diocese of Münster. We are therefore setting off on a search for traces to sites connected with the Reformation.
We begin with a tour through the exhibition: 1517: A Legacy in the Liberna study hall of the Draiflessen Collection in Mettingen. After visiting the exhibition, we will set off on one of three trips to sites connected with the Reformation – to the former County of Lingen, to the old County of Tecklenburg, and to the Osnabrück Land.
10:00 a.m. to 6 p.m. each | Cost per person: € 49, plus € 15 for lunch together.
Registration: +49 (0)54 52. 91 68 - 3500 | firstname.lastname@example.org
The excursion (Fri., 28 April, and Wed., 16 August) goes to the former County of Lingen. Count Konrad initiated the Reformation there in 1541. The St. Mauritius medieval parish church in Ibbenbüren became the Protestant Christuskirche (Christ’s Church). Its plain interior characterised by Gothic architecture provides an impressive location for church services and modern sacred art until today.
The direct coexistence of Catholic and Protestant Christians can be comprehended in Recke: While the Protestants there took over the medieval church building during the Reformation, the Catholic congregation had to make do with a simple emergency church, which has also been preserved until today.
The monastery church in Schale, a jewel of late-Romanesque architecture became a parish church for a Protestant congregation when the monastery was dissolved during the Reformation. In the neighbouring village of Schapen in the Emsland, Lutheran and reformed Christians are organised in separate congregations until today. Here, the picturesquely situated reformed church continues to have furnishings typical of a Calvinist house of God.
County of Tecklenburg
The second excursion (Thurs., 22 June, and Thurs., 12 October), goes to the former County of Tecklenburg, which under Count Konrad became a central area of the Reformation in Westphalia as of 1534. We visit the Tecklenburg town church of 1562, the oldest church built specifically for a Protestant congregation in northwest Germany, with the funerary monuments of Count Konrad and Countess Mechthild.
As a result of the Reformation, the Diocese of Leeden was transformed from a Cistercian abbey into a Protestant convent. Parts of the medieval abbey building were preserved.
The church in Lengerich once contained a famous painting of the pilgrimage of Saint Margaretha. But there were no longer any pilgrimages or veneration of saints here at the latest with the introduction of the Tecklenburg church order of 1543.
The final stop at the Protestant church in Lienen, with building components from the Middle Ages to the nineteenth century, relates an eventful history.
The third excursion, ‘(Wed., 26 July) leads to the former Cistercian abbey of Börstel, which is located in a secluded, forested area in the Osnabrück-Nordland. With the Reformation, this abbey also became a Protestant convent, into which two Catholic canonesses were also accepted. The interdenominational character of the convent has been preserved until today. We visit the medieval Cistercian church and the abbey building. While doing so, we also have an opportunity to speak with chapter sister Johanna Pointke.
We then continue to the village of Berge, where we want to examine the coexistence of Catholic and Protestant congregations in the Osnabrück Land on site. The village also makes it possible to comprehend the various epochs of Christian architecture exemplarily.